THE PLANT KINGDOM consists of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants, and grasses. You don't have to know what species you have photographed, although we hope you will try to identify it before you send your photograph to us. Remember, please include a brief description of where you found the plant. (If the plant is red- or blue-listed in BC, we will not divulge the exact location.) You can attach your photograph in the forum below or email it to focuspublish@shaw.ca.

Here's Howell's triteleia (Triteleia howellii), a very rare plant still found in a few locations in Victoria and the Cowichan Valley. It is red-listed in BC. If you see one please let this forum know. You can read more about it here and here. Mid to late May is the best time to observe this rare, federally Endangered (COSEWIC) plant. Please approach with care and do not disturb.

20200516_134111.thumb.jpg.a2584eeecf5babaababe1b8b55a365cc.jpg

Howell's triteleia

Edited by Chris Junck

Fool's onion (Triteleia hyacinthina) is blooming now in open grassy areas and forest edges. This picture was taken today from the Garry Oak Loop trail at the Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre. The stems of fool's onions look a but like onions, but they don't taste or smell like them.

Triteleia hyacinthina_C Junck_20200614_132145_crpd vert_1550 w.jpg

Poverty clover (Trifolium depauperatum) is also called cowbag clover or balloon clover for obvious reasons. It blooms in April and May on coastal bluffs and hillsides. Only a few of these provincially Blue-listed (Special Concern) members of the pea family were found In Edwards Park (View Royal) this spring.

Trifolium depauperatum_poverty clover w mite_CJunck_0131_edited-1_med_1500w.jpg

Thanks for your posts Chris. I can't remember ever seeing Poverty clover. Looking at eflora BC I notice that Trifolium depauperatum var. depauperatum is blue-listed in BC (threatened). Is that what you have photographed?

Speaking of threatened species of plants, Maleea Acker has just posted a story about ongoing volunteer efforts in Uplands Park to protect and restore the Garry Oak meadow there. Margaret Lidkea is welcoming volunteers. Read Maleea's story here.

I had an encounter with royalty last week. A few of these royal rein orchids (Plantathera transversa) were blooming in View Royal's Edwards Park. They're also known as flat-spurred piperia. According to the BC Conservation Data Centre, they're on the Yellow list of at-risk plants, which means that they aren't very common in our area. That's probably why I haven't seen them before.

Plantathera transversa_Royal Rein Orchid_Edwards Park_C Junck_20200626_100132_edited-1_1500px_low.jpg

Plantathera transversa_Royal Rein Orchid_Edwards Park_C Junck_20200626_095856_edited-1_1500px_low.jpg

On 2020-06-20 at 1:55 PM, David Broadland said:

Thanks for your posts Chris. I can't remember ever seeing Poverty clover. Looking at eflora BC I notice that Trifolium depauperatum var. depauperatum is blue-listed in BC (threatened). Is that what you have photographed?

Yes, this is the threatened variety. In BC, recent sightings are only from a few locations in the CRD.

On 2020-07-03 at 4:54 PM, Chris Junck said:

Yes, this is the threatened variety. In BC, recent sightings are only from a few locations in the CRD.

Chris, do you know how the BC Conservation Data Centre determines that a plant or animal species is yellow-, blue- or red-listed in BC?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.